My Photo
Name:

I'm a Minister of Music and Worship in a Baptist church with BOTH cutting edge (for where we live) contemporary and full-on traditional worship services struggling to build bridges and strengthen community among and between our worship congregations.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Harold Best on Musical Expression and Faith

If in making music or listening to it I assume that faith will bring substance and evidence to the music, so as to make it more "worshipful," I am getting into real trouble. If I truly love the music -- that is, if I have chosen a church that uses "my music" and I am deeply moved by it -- I can make the mistake of coupling faith to musical expression by assuming that the power and effectiveness of music is what brings substance to the evidence of my faith. ... Once this happens i may even slip fully into the sin of equating the power of music and the nearness of the Lord.

~ Harold Best
Unceasing Worship, p. 30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home